Saturday, May 25, 2013

Painting the (thin, red) line

I've finally mostly finished painting all twenty (although I'll only be using sixteen) GHQ Challenger Is and most of my support vehicles, less some FV432s that I have yet to obtain and my Tracked Rapiers.

My "method", such as it is, is roughly as smart as Brando's in Apocalypse Now, i.e. not at all. First I wash the miniatures in soapy water, then I primer them with Tamiya Extra Fine grey primer, then I airbrush them Tamiya NATO Black, and then I carefully use small pieces of poster putty to mask wherever I want black strips and then go over them again with NATO Green. THEN, I give them a dark brown ink wash. They actually look reasonably decent in person, but there's still more to do. I need to paint the treads (Testors acrylic RAF Dark Earth, drybrushed with silver), seal them with a Future clearcoat, and then possibly apply formation sign decals using the GHQ ones intended for WWII vehicles. Then I'll seal them up with Testors Dullcoate. Phew!

Excuse my terrible cell phone camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment